- Mary Jane bourbon + smokehouse + Cape (7/9/18)4
- Dexter Bar-B-Que in Jackson moving location (7/12/18)1
- Voters to choose from crowded field for Scott County presiding commissioner (7/10/18)1
- Developer: Construction moving into new phases on Marriott (7/12/18)1
- Southeast art students contribute mural to Stevie's Steakburger (7/9/18)1
- New safety measures being put in place in Jackson School District (7/11/18)3
- 'It's just time': PFLAG chapter starting in Cape (7/6/18)33
- Harbor Freight to open next week in Cape Girardeau (7/10/18)
- Car packages: Local stores adding pickup services as part of nationwide trend (7/14/18)1
- Former police officer, disabled vet vie for state representative seat (7/11/18)2
Man charged with child molestation, statutory rape
DEXTER, Mo. — A 19-year-old Dexter man has been charged with first-degree child molestation and first-degree statutory rape.
According to Detective Cory Mills of the Dexter Police Department, a 14-year-old girl, accompanied by her mother, appeared at the city police station Dec. 26 with claims that Shawn A. Steely had sexually assaulted the girl in July. The girl was 13 at the time of the alleged incident.
Steely admitted he and the victim were "lying down together in the bedroom," and that he engaged in foreplay with the girl and initiated intercourse, but said as he did, she told him "she was scared and wanted him to stop, which he did."
Steely remains at the Stoddard County Jail in lieu of a $75,000 cash-only bond.