- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
ANNA, Ill. -- Josephine Woods Lewis, 99, of Anna died Sunday, Jan. 11, 2009, at her home.
She was born in Crain, Mo., on March 18, 1909, daughter of William McKee and Mary Anna Enderlin Woods.
Mrs. Lewis graduated from Brown's Business School. She met Raymond Jack Lewis while working as a bookkeeper at the Piggly Wiggly Grocery in Cairo, Ill. They were married April 10, 1937, at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Anna.
Mrs. Lewis has been a member of St. Mary's for 72 years. She was active in the Women's Club, Daughters of the American Revolution, Parent-Teacher Association and many other social clubs.
She was a generous contributor to many charitable organizations and churches and was especially generous to children's organizations during the Christmas season.
She played an important role as an officer and director in Lewis Bakeries Inc. (Bunny Bread), Lewis Building Corp. and Spring Street Apartments Inc.
Mrs. Lewis is survived by her children, R. Jack Jr. and wife Peggy S. Lewis of Evansville, Ind., William A. and wife Patricia Lewis of Anna, Mary Della Lewis of The Villages, Fla.; nine grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
Memories of "Aunt Jo" will be in the hearts of her many nieces and nephews.
Mrs. Lewis was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Jack Lewis; three brothers; and three sisters.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Rendleman and Hileman Funeral Home in Anna.
The funeral will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Anna, with Monsignor Dennis Schaefer officiating. Interment will be in Anna City Cemetery.
The family asks that memorials be made to Christian Children's Fund or to St. Mary's Catholic Church in Anna. Envelopes will be available at the funeral home.