- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Thieves in 2 Illinois counties target antlers
CARLINVILLE, Ill. -- It's no moose on the loose, but authorities in two southwestern Illinois counties are trying to rein in a spree of brazen antler thefts.
Investigators in Macoupin and Jersey counties said at least 89 deer and elk antlers have been stolen from homes during burglaries since mid-November.
Macoupin County sheriff's Detective Mike Kostich said many break-ins have been during daylight and often on dead-end roads.
He said he suspected the burglaries are related to others in which such items as laptop computers and chain saws have been stolen.
Kostich said 65 deer antlers have been stolen in Jersey County, where Sheriff Mark Kalall said burglaries involving deer antlers began surfacing a few weeks ago.