- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)14
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
A community and family leader
To the editor:
Today is a day to observe with joy and gratitude. My uncle, Tom Beadles of Cape Girardeau and Cairo, Ill., turns 99 today. Tom has been a leader in both communities all his life, but even more precious to me is his leadership in our family. Tom Beadles was the guiding hand that helped create Vandivort Properties, a third-generation family farming corporation rooted in Southeast Missouri.
It is because of the foresight of Tom Beadles and his generation that over 100 Vandivort family members gather each year in Cape Girardeau on the Fourth of July to celebrate their heritage during a family reunion.
On behalf of our family, I say thank you to Tom. He has been an inspiration to his family and his community.
HARRIETT STEIN SMITH, Carmel, Ind.