- Mary Jane bourbon + smokehouse + Cape (7/9/18)4
- Dexter Bar-B-Que in Jackson moving location (7/12/18)1
- Voters to choose from crowded field for Scott County presiding commissioner (7/10/18)1
- Car packages: Local stores adding pickup services as part of nationwide trend (7/14/18)1
- Developer: Construction moving into new phases on Marriott (7/12/18)1
- New safety measures being put in place in Jackson School District (7/11/18)3
- Harbor Freight to open next week in Cape Girardeau (7/10/18)
- Former police officer, disabled vet vie for state representative seat (7/11/18)2
- Business Notebook: A flexible future: Yoga East Healing Arts Studio has a new owner in Sue Greenwood (7/9/18)
- 'It's just time': PFLAG chapter starting in Cape (7/6/18)34
A community and family leader
To the editor:
Today is a day to observe with joy and gratitude. My uncle, Tom Beadles of Cape Girardeau and Cairo, Ill., turns 99 today. Tom has been a leader in both communities all his life, but even more precious to me is his leadership in our family. Tom Beadles was the guiding hand that helped create Vandivort Properties, a third-generation family farming corporation rooted in Southeast Missouri.
It is because of the foresight of Tom Beadles and his generation that over 100 Vandivort family members gather each year in Cape Girardeau on the Fourth of July to celebrate their heritage during a family reunion.
On behalf of our family, I say thank you to Tom. He has been an inspiration to his family and his community.
HARRIETT STEIN SMITH, Carmel, Ind.