- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Ice storm blamed for dozens of Ill. wrecks
COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) -- When it comes to icy roads in Southern Illinois, even Illinois State Police aren't immune from fender-bender traffic wrecks.
State police in southwestern Illinois near Collinsville say icy conditions Tuesday morning that slowed the commute for many to a crawl were blamed for at least 29 crashes in the region.
Authorities say nearly all of the wrecks were on bridges, overpasses and highway ramps.
State police say two of the crashes involved motorists sliding into their cruisers while they were stopped with emergency lights in use.
Authorities used the opportunity to caution motorists about slowing down on wet roads, bringing blankets for use if their vehicles become disabled and exiting their vehicles cautiously after wrecks.
Many schools in the region also canceled classes.