Health calendar 1/6/09
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
* Childbirth preparation class: 8:30 p.m. in the Harrison Room at Southeast Missouri Hospital. This class is intended to ease expectant parents concerns and give them a positive, confident attitude toward labor and delivery. To register, call 332-1587.
* Breast-feeding class: 3 to 4:30 p.m. in meeting room 106 at Southeast Missouri Hospital. The class covers the benefits and techniques of breast feeding, family involvement and support. To register, call 332-1587.
* Preparation for childbirth class: 5:30 to 9 p.m. The class offers a guide to expected bodily changes, labor signs and stages, pain control options, labor techniques and basic infant care. Tips on relaxing, positioning and breathing will also be discussed. Refreshments will be provided. Bring the "Pregnancy, Childbirth and Parenting Kit" provided by your physician office. To register and verify location, call 877-231-2229.
* Our New Baby class: 6 to 7 p.m. in Wellness Connection at West Park Mall. The class is for children, ages 3 and 4, and their parents. This class is to help families adjust to having a new baby. Children learn about holding, feeding and diapering the baby using dolls for hands-on experience. To register, call 332-1587.
* Asthma education: 6:30 to 9 p.m. in meeting room 105 at Southeast Missouri Hospital. Respiratory Care practitioners will provide a free asthma education program for children, adults and their families. To register, call 332-1587.
* Surgical treatment for arthritis event: 6 p.m. Seminar will give arthritis patients information about joint replacement procedure. Call 331-5593 for more information.
* Infant Care class: 5:30 to 7 p.m. The class covers topics such as feeding, daily care, infant sleeping patterns and health and safety information. Call 877-231-2229 to register and verify location.
* Sibling class: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Include children ages 3 to 6 in the birthing process while preparing them to become better siblings. The class will cover the proper way to hold infants, toy safety and emotional issues of a growing family. Call 877-231-2229 to register.