- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Family escapes Cape Girardeau afternoon house fire without serious injury
Firefighters battled a blaze in the 500 block of North Middle St. this afternoon.
No serious injuries were reported during the fire, which started in the upstairs attic of the residence, witnesses at the scene who did not wish to be identified said.
There were two children and three adults at home at the time the fire started just after 1:30 p.m, a female next door neighbor said.
"That's why I ran out here, I was hoping to see them to see if they were okay," said Rachael Lamb, another neighbor.
One female was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation, but the other residents were taken inside of a nearby residence and declined to be interviewed.