- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Music program would benefit
To the editor:
I have been a band director for the Jackson School District for the past 20 years. I know our community takes great pride in our music programs, which are some of the finest in the state, and our music instructors take great pride in our excellent students and community.
The current music facilities, which were built in the 1950s, are getting in the way of educating our Jackson High School students they way they should be in the 21st century. Storage room for equipment and instruments is inadequate. Technology and rehearsal and performance space is maxed out. And we are putting hundreds of students in an area designed for half that amount.
Our music programs over the past 20 years have achieved results that are superior to many music programs in the state. Just last year our band program was recognized as having more students receive all-state honors that any other high school in the state. In our music programs, we hope to continue the excellence we have already achieved. We feel confident the community, which takes such great pride in all of our programs, will help us do that.
Please vote yes next Tuesday and give the students the facilities they deserve -- excellent facilities for an excellent music program.
SCOTT VANGILDER, Jackson