Out of the past 1/03/2009
Saturday, January 3, 2009
25 years ago: Jan. 3, 1984
Carolyn Kelley files for one of two seats on the Cape Girardeau School Board; she joins the Rev. Claude Russell in seeking one of the three-year terms to be decided by voters in April.
The Missouri Highway and Transportation Department hopes to take bids within the next month or two on a project to resurface Kingshighway from Route W to Highway 74 and a portion of the Mississippi River bridge.
50 years ago: Jan. 3, 1959
Purchase of the D & G Builders Supply on Kingshighway and the establishment there of Riverside West Builders Supply Inc. are announced by William J. Kies Jr.; the D&G firm was purchased from Burton Gerhardt.
Mr. and Mrs. Loran Riley of Fornfelt, with Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Byrd of Cape Girardeau, returned home yesterday from a two-week visit in San Antonio with their children, the Rev. and Mrs. Clyde Byrd and son Bill.
75 years ago: Jan. 3, 1934
Swooping down on a farmhouse in the south end of Bollinger County at 3 a.m., 17 peace officers from five counties arrest three men and a red-haired woman and seize a quantity of allegedly stolen goods and two shotguns; along with the guns, loot found at the house includes 30 cartons of cigarettes, 30 bags of tobacco, two radios, perfume, powder, tonics, soap, candy and chewing gum.
Thirty-two Missouri architects will begin a survey of historic Missouri buildings notable for their design or usage; the survey will be conducted under the Civil Works Administration.
100 years ago: Jan. 3, 1909
J.W. Searcy, proprietor of the Pine Bar at the corner of Broadway and Sprigg Street, turns the tables on two holdup men in the morning, firing three shots in rapid succession at them; they had sprung out on him from the recesses of a dark alley opening on Broadway near the Bergmann-Bartels store, demanding his money; despite his violent response and the quick attention of policeman Will Stevens, the hoodlums escape.
Mr. and Mrs. Ferd S. Spinnenweber of Pocahontas, Ark., are in Cape Girardeau visiting her mother, Mrs. Eagle, on North Lorimier Street.
— Sharon K. Sanders