- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Seeking new history: Centurion Development buys former Woolworth building at 1 N. Main St. (7/28/16)5
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Police: Child's video revealed stepfather's abuse of sibling (7/28/16)3
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Thanks for another Toybox success
To the editor:
Cape Girardeau never ceases to amaze me. This year proved to be challenging for the annual Jaycee Toybox project. In our 34th year, we found the economic challenges that weigh so heavily on our hearts and minds did not spare our efforts in raising money for our children. However, we called out in need to the community, and your response was so great that we were able to make this holiday season a little happier for over 1,500 children.
I thank Scott Rhodes from Plaza Tire and Jeff Maurer with Rhodes 101 for donating warehouse and storage facilities. Thank you to the area businesses that allowed us to place collection boxes at your locations. Thank you to the Southeast Missourian, which co-sponsors this event, for getting word out. Special recognition to Howard Kinder, who gives so freely of his time to map out the delivery routes for our Santas. Thank you to Bluff City, River Eagle, Domino's, Houch's, and Coca-Cola for donating refreshments for volunteers. Thank you to Cape Auto Pool for the use of the big, white "sleighs." With great appreciation, I recognize the River City Rodders who year after year place bicycles in the homes of so many children. Finally, thank you to the members of the Cape Girardeau Jaycee chapter and their families for the hard work to make Toybox a success.
So many reach deeply into their pockets. My hat is off to you for your continuing support of Toybox.
TRACY HAGGERTY, Toybox Chair, Cape Girardeau Jaycees