- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- Judge denies order of protection for woman accusing deputy of stalking her (6/23/18)5
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- Stooges in Jackson under new ownership (6/23/18)
- Poplar Bluff nail manufacturer gets hammered by new tariffs on steel (6/22/18)6
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Scott County Sheriff Wes Drury responds to issue involving deputy (6/23/18)2
- Neal Boyd blessed us all with his God-given talent (6/19/18)
Thanks for another Toybox success
To the editor:
Cape Girardeau never ceases to amaze me. This year proved to be challenging for the annual Jaycee Toybox project. In our 34th year, we found the economic challenges that weigh so heavily on our hearts and minds did not spare our efforts in raising money for our children. However, we called out in need to the community, and your response was so great that we were able to make this holiday season a little happier for over 1,500 children.
I thank Scott Rhodes from Plaza Tire and Jeff Maurer with Rhodes 101 for donating warehouse and storage facilities. Thank you to the area businesses that allowed us to place collection boxes at your locations. Thank you to the Southeast Missourian, which co-sponsors this event, for getting word out. Special recognition to Howard Kinder, who gives so freely of his time to map out the delivery routes for our Santas. Thank you to Bluff City, River Eagle, Domino's, Houch's, and Coca-Cola for donating refreshments for volunteers. Thank you to Cape Auto Pool for the use of the big, white "sleighs." With great appreciation, I recognize the River City Rodders who year after year place bicycles in the homes of so many children. Finally, thank you to the members of the Cape Girardeau Jaycee chapter and their families for the hard work to make Toybox a success.
So many reach deeply into their pockets. My hat is off to you for your continuing support of Toybox.
TRACY HAGGERTY, Toybox Chair, Cape Girardeau Jaycees