- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
Thanks for another Toybox success
To the editor:
Cape Girardeau never ceases to amaze me. This year proved to be challenging for the annual Jaycee Toybox project. In our 34th year, we found the economic challenges that weigh so heavily on our hearts and minds did not spare our efforts in raising money for our children. However, we called out in need to the community, and your response was so great that we were able to make this holiday season a little happier for over 1,500 children.
I thank Scott Rhodes from Plaza Tire and Jeff Maurer with Rhodes 101 for donating warehouse and storage facilities. Thank you to the area businesses that allowed us to place collection boxes at your locations. Thank you to the Southeast Missourian, which co-sponsors this event, for getting word out. Special recognition to Howard Kinder, who gives so freely of his time to map out the delivery routes for our Santas. Thank you to Bluff City, River Eagle, Domino's, Houch's, and Coca-Cola for donating refreshments for volunteers. Thank you to Cape Auto Pool for the use of the big, white "sleighs." With great appreciation, I recognize the River City Rodders who year after year place bicycles in the homes of so many children. Finally, thank you to the members of the Cape Girardeau Jaycee chapter and their families for the hard work to make Toybox a success.
So many reach deeply into their pockets. My hat is off to you for your continuing support of Toybox.
TRACY HAGGERTY, Toybox Chair, Cape Girardeau Jaycees