- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Community helps Jackson family with two cases of muscular dystrophy (9/19/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Eldorado Resorts to buy Isle of Capri Casinos (9/20/16)7
- Concealed-carry restrictions remain in Missouri despite new state law (9/18/16)22
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)6
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of beating a grandmother to death with baseball bat (9/18/16)
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
Thanks for giving
It is traditional to make charitable gifts near the end of the year, especially in the weeks leading up to Christmas and before the Dec. 31 deadline for tax purposes.
There is something about the spirit of the religious overtones of the season. And maybe the tax man spurs some of the generous giving.
At the root of all the donations, however, is that human element -- the emotion of the heart -- that guides most people to give and to give generously.
So many organizations strive to make Christmas merry for so many people.
The Southeast Missourian is especially thankful for the hundreds of kind and generous readers who once again are remembering those who benefit from the Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly programs.
Toybox is sponsored by the Southeast Missourian and Cape Girardeau Jaycees. This program is an effort to make sure more than 1,200 needy children receive gifts at Christmas.
And Christmas for the Elderly fills special holiday requests for older members of the community who otherwise would have a bleak holiday.
There are many other fine efforts to provide holiday cheer in our community. But Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly are the primary efforts to reach the needy in Cape Girardeau.
On behalf of all those who benefit from the community's generosity: Thank you. And a blessed and merry Christmas to all.