- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Thanks for giving
It is traditional to make charitable gifts near the end of the year, especially in the weeks leading up to Christmas and before the Dec. 31 deadline for tax purposes.
There is something about the spirit of the religious overtones of the season. And maybe the tax man spurs some of the generous giving.
At the root of all the donations, however, is that human element -- the emotion of the heart -- that guides most people to give and to give generously.
So many organizations strive to make Christmas merry for so many people.
The Southeast Missourian is especially thankful for the hundreds of kind and generous readers who once again are remembering those who benefit from the Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly programs.
Toybox is sponsored by the Southeast Missourian and Cape Girardeau Jaycees. This program is an effort to make sure more than 1,200 needy children receive gifts at Christmas.
And Christmas for the Elderly fills special holiday requests for older members of the community who otherwise would have a bleak holiday.
There are many other fine efforts to provide holiday cheer in our community. But Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly are the primary efforts to reach the needy in Cape Girardeau.
On behalf of all those who benefit from the community's generosity: Thank you. And a blessed and merry Christmas to all.