- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)6
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- State Supreme Court rules against congressman's mother in dog-kennel defamation case (4/27/17)1
- Strattman to step down as principal at St. Mary (4/28/17)1
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
Contest victor eats 7 pounds of latkes
LAKE GROVE, N.Y. -- A 23-year-old mechanical engineering student downed 46 latkes in eight minutes to win a contest at a Long Island deli.
Pete Czerwinski said he'd never had one of the potato pancakes before eating about seven pounds of them Sunday at Zan's in Lake Grove.
Association of Independent Competitive Eaters chairman Arnie Chapman said Czerwinski demolished the contest's previous record of 31 latkes, set in 2006.
Latkes are a traditional treat for Hanukkah, the eight-day Jewish Festival of Lights. It started Sunday evening.