- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
Contest victor eats 7 pounds of latkes
LAKE GROVE, N.Y. -- A 23-year-old mechanical engineering student downed 46 latkes in eight minutes to win a contest at a Long Island deli.
Pete Czerwinski said he'd never had one of the potato pancakes before eating about seven pounds of them Sunday at Zan's in Lake Grove.
Association of Independent Competitive Eaters chairman Arnie Chapman said Czerwinski demolished the contest's previous record of 31 latkes, set in 2006.
Latkes are a traditional treat for Hanukkah, the eight-day Jewish Festival of Lights. It started Sunday evening.