- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Golden Corral nearing opening; soft open scheduled for Monday or Tuesday (2/12/17)8
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)21
- Southeast reports three confirmed cases of mumps; more cases possible (2/14/17)1
- Right to Work and Taxes (2/10/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
Area calendar 12/4/08
* Southeast camps: The Southeast Missouri State baseball program will host six camps between December and February at Houck Field House. They are designed for boys age 8 through seniors in high school and cost $95 per camp. Two fundamental camps for ages 8 through 12 will take place Saturday and Sunday and Dec. 13 to 14. They will cover hitting, fielding, throwing, baserunning and offensive strategy. A pitcher and catcher camp is Jan. 10, and a hitting camp is Jan. 11. Both sessions are designed for age 13 through seniors in high school. Two prospect camps for age 13 through seniors in high school are Jan. 24 and 25 and Feb. 7 and 8. Campers must bring their own workout gear. No cleats are permitted inside Houck Field House. Info: 986-6002.
* Elks Hoop Shoot: The annual Elks Hoop Shoot, a free-throw shooting contest, will take place Dec. 13 beginning at 9:30 a.m. at Central Junior High School. Boys and girls ages 8 to 13 are invited to compete, with age-group winners for both boys and girls advancing to competition that eventually ends on the state level. Age groups are 8 and 9, 10 and 11 and 12 and 13. There is no entry fee. Info: Dick Wadlington, 334-5690.
* Men's league: Registration is open for the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department's men's basketball league. The league will be comprised of five divisions. Games will be played Monday through Thursday evenings, Saturday mornings and afternoons and Sunday afternoons and evenings. They will be played at the A.C. Brase Arena and the Osage Community Centre. A team must have at least five players. There will be a managers meeting Monday at 6:30 p.m. at the Osage Community Centre. Deadline: Monday. Cost: $300 per team. Info or to register: Heather at the Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* Women's league: Registration is open for the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department's women's basketball league. There will be one division and games will be played Tuesday evenings at the Osage Community Centre. Babysitting will be offered for the children of players. Deadline: Jan. 9. Cost: $225 per team. Info or to register: Amy Roth, 334-2859.
* Boys tournaments: Chaffee will host its annual third- and fourth-grade boys basketball round robin tournament Dec. 15 to Dec. 20 at the Chaffee elementary school activity center. The fifth- and sixth-grade tournament will take place Jan. 5 to Jan. 10 at the Chaffee High School gym. Each team is guaranteed three games. Cost: $75 per team. Info or to register: Mike Johnson, 318-9063.
* Grizzlies game: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host a trip to Memphis, Tenn., for the Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Lakers game Jan. 31. The game is scheduled to tip off at 7 p.m. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 1 p.m. and arrive on Beale Street in Memphis around 4 p.m. Cost: $60, which includes a ticket to the game and transportation to the game. Info or to register: Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* Travel team tryouts: The Next Level Global Sports Basketball Club, a travel team for boys and girls in grades 6 through 8, will be held Dec. 13 and Dec. 20 at Red Star Baptist Church in Cape Girardeau. Times of the tryouts will be 4 p.m. for boys and 6 p.m. for girls Dec. 13, and 2 p.m. for boys and 4 p.m. for girls Dec. 20. Info: B.J. Smith, 587-4646 or 382-9343, or visit www.nextlevelglobalsports.org
* Officials meeting: The Heartland Officials Association will conduct its monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Sunday in Room 107 of the Student Recreation Center at Southeast Missouri State University. The agenda is primarily for new or inexperienced basketball officials, but all officials are welcome. Info: Rick Heuring, 264-3643, 450-8134.
* Globetrotters game: The Harlem Globetrotters' Spinning the Globe tour will be at the Show Me Center on March 25 at 7 p.m. Tickets start at $20, and are available at the Show Me Center box office. Info: harlemglobetrotters.com.
* Mizzou watch party: The Southeast Missouri Black and Gold Chapter of the Mizzou Alumni Association will host a watch party Saturday to watch the Tigers play Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game. The party starts at 6:30 p.m. at Beef O'Brady's in Cape Girardeau. Info: Larry Simon, 270-1487.
* Trip to Blues game: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department is sponsoring a trip to the St. Louis Blues game against the Chicago Blackhawks on Jan. 17. A chartered bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 4:30 p.m. and return after the 7:30 p.m. game. Cost: $60, which includes a ticket to the game and transportation. Info or to purchase a ticket: Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* Saint Francis tournament: The 15th annual Saint Francis Indoor Soccer Invitational will take place Jan. 2 to 4 at the Show Me Center. The tournament is open to boys and girls born on or after Aug. 1, 1990. It will use the following age divisions — male U-8 through U-18 and female U-8 through U-18. There is a maximum of 18 players on each roster, and play will be 6 on 6 for ages 14 to 18, and 7 on 7 for ages 8 to 13. Each team is guaranteed three games. Cost: $270 per team. Info: 651-2297.
* Southeast clinics: The Southeast Missouri State softball program will host two winter clinics concentrating on pitching, hitting and catching at Houck Field House. They are designed for girls age 8 through 18 and cost $60 per camp. The first clinic will be Jan. 24 and 25 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The second clinic will be Feb. 7 and 8 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Campers must bring their own workout gear. No cleats are permitted inside Houck Field House. Info: 986-6730 or 651-2993. Registration forms are available at gosoutheast.com.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.