- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Benton man charged with molesting child
BENTON, Mo. -- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter said today in a news release that a Benton man is in custody, charged with sexual offenses dating to 1999, with the most recent occurring in October of this year.
Walter said Velton L. Taylor, 64, of rural Benton is in custody in the Scott County Jail, charged with first-degree statutory sodomy, first-degree sexual misconduct and two counts of second-degree child molestation. Bond has been set at $100,000.
According to sheriff's investigators, Taylor's alleged activities were revealed when several children from one family were taken for a safe exam in late November.
The exam and interviews revealed alleged sexual offenses against three juveniles and one adult.