- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
81-year-old Cape woman raped at home
An 81-year-old woman was raped after a man forced himself into her house Sunday evening in southeast Cape Girardeau.
Cape Girardeau Police Department spokesman Sgt. Barry Hovis said the department currently has no suspects. The victim, who lived alone, described the rapist as being in his 20s, of medium build, about 6 feet tall and wearing a dark blue or black hooded sweat shirt with white trim.
About 6:30 p.m. the man knocked on her door, forced his way in and demanded money. After the woman told him she had none, he pushed her into the bedroom, assaulted her and stole her wallet before leaving, Hovis said.
"We feel this is a random crime, and he had no connection to the victim," Hovis said. "This is a sad deal."
Hovis said the suspect knocked on the door as a ruse, and wants the public to be watchful. Anyone with information about the incident should call the police department at 335-6621 or Crime Stoppers at 332-0500.