- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Near miss: Woman 'lucky' following train incident (8/16/17)
Ferry operators say thank you
To the editor:
This is an open letter to Dorena Hickman Ferry customers and local citizens. With great sadness STAM Marine enterprises has resigned as the contract operator for this wonderful little ferryboat. There are so many individuals to thank for their support, friendship, loyalty and guidance these past 10 years that I must do this in a big broad stroke for fear of leaving out any of the individuals. You have all helped us raise a family, shared many victories and celebrations and shouldered a few losses as well, and I am deeply grateful to each of you. Thank you.
Since opening in May 1999, this amazing ferry made 81,464 trips across the mighty Mississippi River, which end to end add up to 1,483,085 miles (or about 55 times around the Earth) and carried 129,938 vehicles with 292,072 passengers bringing in a total revenue of $991,869.
The ferry averages 10 knots (12 mph): 20 minutes to Missouri, 10 minutes to Kentucky (not because Kentucky is closer than Missouri, but because we travel about a mile upstream westbound)
STAM stands for Steve (captain), Terry (wife, mom, first-grade teacher and deckhand), Alex (son, deckhand and now pilot in Alaska) and Maryna (daughter, deckhand and soon to be law enforcement professional).
Once again and forever more, thank you, each and every one of you,
STEVE STANIONIS, Dyersburg, Tenn.