- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Juvenile accused of stealing, damaging playground statue (1/9/17)25
- Namesake statue stolen from Melaina's Magical Playland (1/8/17)7
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)14
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Officers to wash canines to raise money for new police dogs (1/9/17)
- Business notebook: Faithfully Fed aims for more than just food (1/9/17)4
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
Ferry operators say thank you
To the editor:
This is an open letter to Dorena Hickman Ferry customers and local citizens. With great sadness STAM Marine enterprises has resigned as the contract operator for this wonderful little ferryboat. There are so many individuals to thank for their support, friendship, loyalty and guidance these past 10 years that I must do this in a big broad stroke for fear of leaving out any of the individuals. You have all helped us raise a family, shared many victories and celebrations and shouldered a few losses as well, and I am deeply grateful to each of you. Thank you.
Since opening in May 1999, this amazing ferry made 81,464 trips across the mighty Mississippi River, which end to end add up to 1,483,085 miles (or about 55 times around the Earth) and carried 129,938 vehicles with 292,072 passengers bringing in a total revenue of $991,869.
The ferry averages 10 knots (12 mph): 20 minutes to Missouri, 10 minutes to Kentucky (not because Kentucky is closer than Missouri, but because we travel about a mile upstream westbound)
STAM stands for Steve (captain), Terry (wife, mom, first-grade teacher and deckhand), Alex (son, deckhand and now pilot in Alaska) and Maryna (daughter, deckhand and soon to be law enforcement professional).
Once again and forever more, thank you, each and every one of you,
STEVE STANIONIS, Dyersburg, Tenn.