Sunday, November 30, 2008
* Southeast camps: The Southeast Missouri State baseball program will host six camps between December and February at Houck Field House. They are designed for boys age 8 through seniors in high school and cost $95 per camp. Two fundamental camps for ages 8 through 12 will take place Saturday and Dec. 7 and Dec. 13 to 14. They will cover hitting, fielding, throwing, baserunning and offensive strategy. A pitcher and catcher camp is Jan. 10, and a hitting camp is Jan. 11. Both sessions are designed for age 13 through seniors in high school. Two prospect camps for age 13 through seniors in high school are Jan. 24 and 25 and Feb. 7 and 8. Campers must bring their own workout gear. No cleats are permitted inside Houck Field House. Info: 986-6002.
* Elks Hoop Shoot: The annual Elks Hoop Shoot, a free-throw shooting contest, will take place Dec. 13 beginning at 9:30 a.m. at Central Junior High School. Boys and girls ages 8 to 13 are invited to compete, with age-group winners for both boys and girls advancing to competition that eventually ends on the state level. Age groups are 8 and 9, 10 and 11 and 12 and 13. There is no entry fee. Info: Dick Wadlington, 334-5690.
* Men's league: Registration is open for the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department's men's basketball league. The league will be comprised of five divisions. Games will be played Monday through Thursday evenings, Saturday mornings and afternoons and Sunday afternoons and evenings. They will be played at the A.C. Brase Arena and the Osage Community Centre. A team must have at least five players. There will be a managers meeting Dec. 8 at 6:30 p.m. at the Osage Community Centre. Deadline: Dec. 8. Cost: $300 per team. Info or to register: Heather at the Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* Women's league: Registration is open for the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department's women's basketball league. There will be one division and games will be played Tuesday evenings at the Osage Community Centre. Babysitting will be offered for the children of players. Deadline: Jan. 9. Cost: $225 per team. Info or to register: Amy Roth, 334-2859.
* Boys tournaments: Chaffee will host its annual third- and fourth-grade boys basketball round robin tournament Dec. 15 to Dec. 20 at the Chaffee elementary school activity center. The fifth- and sixth-grade tournament will take place Jan. 5 to Jan. 10 at the Chaffee High School gym. Each team is guaranteed three games. Cost: $75 per team. Info or to register: Mike Johnson, 318-9063.
* Grizzlies game: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host a trip to Memphis, Tenn., for the Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Lakers game Jan. 31. The game is scheduled to tip off at 7 p.m. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 1 p.m. and arrive on Beale Street in Memphis around 4 p.m. Cost: $60, which includes a ticket to the game and transportation to the game. Info or to register: Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* Mizzou watch party: The Southeast Missouri Black and Gold Chapter of the Mizzou Alumni Association will host a watch party Saturday to watch the Tigers play in the Big 12 championship game. The party starts at 6:30 p.m. at Beef O'Brady's in Cape Girardeau. Info: Larry Simon, 270-1487.
* Trip to Blues game: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department is sponsoring a trip to the St. Louis Blues game against the Chicago Blackhawks on Jan. 17. A chartered bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 4:30 p.m. and return after the 7:30 p.m. game. Cost: $60, which includes a ticket to the game and transportation. Info or to purchase a ticket: Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* Saint Francis tournament: The 15th annual Saint Francis Indoor Soccer Invitational will take place Jan. 2 to 4 at the Show Me Center. The tournament is open to boys and girls born on or after Aug. 1, 1990. It will use the following age divisions -- male U-8 through U-18 and female U-8 through U-18. There is a maximum of 18 players on each roster, and play will be 6 on 6 for ages 14 to 18, and 7 on 7 for ages 8 to 13. Each team is guaranteed three games. Cost: $270 per team. Info: 651-2297.
* Southeast clinics: The Southeast Missouri State softball program will host two winter clinics concentrating on pitching, hitting and catching at Houck Field House. They are designed for girls age 8 through 18 and cost $60 per camp. The first clinic will be Jan. 24 and 25 from 1 to 4 p.m. The second clinic will be Feb. 7 and 8 from 1 to 4 p.m. Campers must bring their own workout gear. No cleats are permitted inside Houck Field House. Info: 986-6730 or 651-2993. Registration forms are available at gosoutheast.com.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.