- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)17
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
One killed, several injured in holiday accidents
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. — At least one Southeast Missouri resident died of traffic-related injuries over the Thanksgiving holiday.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, at 12:05 a.m. Thursday, motorist Stefany A. Tillman, 24, of Hayti, Mo., ran her vehicle off the right side of the road while traveling on Interstate 55, one mile south of Hayti. She overcorrected, causing the vehicle to run off the left side of the road and overturn. Tillman was ejected from the vehicle. She was pronounced dead at 12:48 a.m. at the scene by Pemiscot County Coroner Jim Brimhall.
Several residents were also injured in accidents over the holiday.
According to the patrol, at 7:55 a.m. Wednesday, Vernon H. Osborne, 66, of Williamsville, Mo., was attempting to make a right hand turn into a private road on U.S. 60, one mile west of Dexter, Mo., when his vehicle was struck in the rear by a vehicle driven by David K. Bigham, 23, of Jackson. Bigham and his passenger, Ricky D. Stoffel, 51, of Jackson sustained moderate injuries and were taken to Missouri Southern Healthcare in Dexter. Osborne received minor injuries and was transported by ambulance to Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center.
At 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Xavier V. Robinson, 34, of St. Ann, Mo., was traveling on I-55, one mile south of Hayti, when he traveled off the road, overturned numerous times and struck two guard rails, according to the patrol. Robinson was seriously injured and transported by ambulance to Pemiscot Memorial Hospital in Hayti.
Two people were injured following a two-vehicle accident at 1:20 a.m. Friday near Advance, Mo., according to the patrol. A car was parked in the road on Highway 25, about two miles north of Advance. An accident occurred when motorist James G. Smith, 47, of Dexter struck the parked vehicle, causing the parked vehicle to hit pedestrian David M. Merchant, 27, of Jackson. Merchant and Smith's passenger, Zenita D. Smith, 45, of Dexter sustained moderate injuries and were taken to Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.