- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
One killed, several injured in holiday accidents
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. — At least one Southeast Missouri resident died of traffic-related injuries over the Thanksgiving holiday.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, at 12:05 a.m. Thursday, motorist Stefany A. Tillman, 24, of Hayti, Mo., ran her vehicle off the right side of the road while traveling on Interstate 55, one mile south of Hayti. She overcorrected, causing the vehicle to run off the left side of the road and overturn. Tillman was ejected from the vehicle. She was pronounced dead at 12:48 a.m. at the scene by Pemiscot County Coroner Jim Brimhall.
Several residents were also injured in accidents over the holiday.
According to the patrol, at 7:55 a.m. Wednesday, Vernon H. Osborne, 66, of Williamsville, Mo., was attempting to make a right hand turn into a private road on U.S. 60, one mile west of Dexter, Mo., when his vehicle was struck in the rear by a vehicle driven by David K. Bigham, 23, of Jackson. Bigham and his passenger, Ricky D. Stoffel, 51, of Jackson sustained moderate injuries and were taken to Missouri Southern Healthcare in Dexter. Osborne received minor injuries and was transported by ambulance to Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center.
At 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Xavier V. Robinson, 34, of St. Ann, Mo., was traveling on I-55, one mile south of Hayti, when he traveled off the road, overturned numerous times and struck two guard rails, according to the patrol. Robinson was seriously injured and transported by ambulance to Pemiscot Memorial Hospital in Hayti.
Two people were injured following a two-vehicle accident at 1:20 a.m. Friday near Advance, Mo., according to the patrol. A car was parked in the road on Highway 25, about two miles north of Advance. An accident occurred when motorist James G. Smith, 47, of Dexter struck the parked vehicle, causing the parked vehicle to hit pedestrian David M. Merchant, 27, of Jackson. Merchant and Smith's passenger, Zenita D. Smith, 45, of Dexter sustained moderate injuries and were taken to Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.