- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)3
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
ORAN, Mo. -- Betty Jewel McAnelly, 76, of Oran died Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2008, at the Lutheran Home in Cape Girardeau.
Betty was born Jan. 26, 1932, in Morrilton, Ark., daughter of Howard Harrison and Linnie Naomi Chew Lockhart. She and Paul McAnelly were married Dec. 2, 1948.
God and family were the most important things to Betty. She filled her life with her family. Betty was a loving mother, housewife and wonderful baby sitter for many grandchildren.
She was a hard worker and enjoyed picking cotton, gardening, doing laundry, cleaning house and cooking. There came a time when her health didn't allow her to do the work she loved to do, but she always had a sweet smile or a quick wink for those she loved. She enjoyed sharing stories about the past and talking on the telephone with family and friends.
Survivors include Paul McAnelly of East Prairie, Mo.; three children, Linda Diane (Wayne) Northington of Dexter, Mo., Patsy Ruth (James) Nemetz of Olive Branch, Miss., Steven Paul (Connie) McAnelly of Oran; brothers and sisters, Athlene Bogle of Paxton, Ill., Geraldine Lewis of Flint, Mich., Bill Lockhart of Cape Girardeau, Montene Watkins of Blodgett, Mo., and James Lockhart of Memphis, Tenn.
Betty had six grandchildren, Laura Northington of Dexter, Kevin (Mary) Northington of Corsicana, Texas, Samantha (Robert) Stocks of Elsah, Ill., Amy (Jeff) Kaiser of Marion, Ark., Stephen Matthew Whaley of Olive Branch, and Richard Todd McAnelly of Oran. She had six great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents and two brothers, Carl Lockhart and Welton Lockhart.
Visitation will be from 9:30 a.m. to service time Saturday at Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Oran.
The funeral will be at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Larry Jackson officiating. Burial will be in Forest Hills Memorial Gardens in Morley, Mo.