- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Harbor Freight Tools store coming to Cape (3/29/17)9
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Cape school board rejects proposal to allow parochial-school students to play sports (3/28/17)81
- Ragsdale to replace Farrow as principal at Franklin Elementary (3/29/17)5
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- 'Construction with finesse' (3/26/17)2
- Chaffee district seeks bond issue for classrooms, property (3/26/17)4
- Suspended Southeast student pleads guilty to firearm charge from fatal Carbondale shooting (3/28/17)1
- Wide array of candidates run for Cape school board (3/27/17)7
ORAN, Mo. -- Betty Jewel McAnelly, 76, of Oran died Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2008, at the Lutheran Home in Cape Girardeau.
Betty was born Jan. 26, 1932, in Morrilton, Ark., daughter of Howard Harrison and Linnie Naomi Chew Lockhart. She and Paul McAnelly were married Dec. 2, 1948.
God and family were the most important things to Betty. She filled her life with her family. Betty was a loving mother, housewife and wonderful baby sitter for many grandchildren.
She was a hard worker and enjoyed picking cotton, gardening, doing laundry, cleaning house and cooking. There came a time when her health didn't allow her to do the work she loved to do, but she always had a sweet smile or a quick wink for those she loved. She enjoyed sharing stories about the past and talking on the telephone with family and friends.
Survivors include Paul McAnelly of East Prairie, Mo.; three children, Linda Diane (Wayne) Northington of Dexter, Mo., Patsy Ruth (James) Nemetz of Olive Branch, Miss., Steven Paul (Connie) McAnelly of Oran; brothers and sisters, Athlene Bogle of Paxton, Ill., Geraldine Lewis of Flint, Mich., Bill Lockhart of Cape Girardeau, Montene Watkins of Blodgett, Mo., and James Lockhart of Memphis, Tenn.
Betty had six grandchildren, Laura Northington of Dexter, Kevin (Mary) Northington of Corsicana, Texas, Samantha (Robert) Stocks of Elsah, Ill., Amy (Jeff) Kaiser of Marion, Ark., Stephen Matthew Whaley of Olive Branch, and Richard Todd McAnelly of Oran. She had six great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents and two brothers, Carl Lockhart and Welton Lockhart.
Visitation will be from 9:30 a.m. to service time Saturday at Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Oran.
The funeral will be at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Larry Jackson officiating. Burial will be in Forest Hills Memorial Gardens in Morley, Mo.