- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Area economic organization changes name
The Cape Girardeau Area Industrial Recruitment Association has a new name and logo.
The association -- whose members include the cities of Cape Girardeau, Jackson and Scott City, Cape Girardeau County and the Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce -- now will be called the Cape Girardeau Area Magnet. The new name includes a new logo displaying a horseshoe magnet.
Economic development official Mitch Robinson said the old name was cumbersome. "The new name is both descriptive and easy to remember," he said. "We're confident that we will stand out, which is exactly what we want to do."
He said the new name reflects the fact that the organization isn't just focused on recruiting manufacturing plants, but also is interested in recruiting retail businesses such as the new Sears store and promoting road projects.
Robinson said the name was chosen from among 50 suggestions. The organization hired Red Letter Communications to help formulate a new name. The advertising agency recommended the Magnet name, he said.
Cape Girardeau Mayor Jay Knudtson, who chairs the economic development organization, said it was time for a new name.