- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
New 5,000-foot runway opens at Kennett airport
KENNETT -- About 25 people were at the municipal airport Sept. 28 to watch Mayor Donald Parker pilot the first official takeoff and landing on the new runway. There had been a lottery drawing to determine who would be the first pilot. Parker's name was drawn.
He was followed off the runway by other pilots, including James Finch, Sam Jewell, Mitch McEntire, David Jewell, Glen Parker, Randy Morgan and Larry Jones. The order of takeoff was also determined by the drawing, which was held Sept. 11.
The ceremonial opening of the new runway, to which the public will be invited, is scheduled for Oct. 21 or Oct. 22.
Now that the improvement and expansion project at Kennett Municipal Airport is complete, the airport has a new 75-foot-wide runway of more than 5,000 feet in length. It is designated as Runway 02/20.
The airport improvement was done by the Chester Bross Construction Co. of Hannibal, Mo., under a $4.1 million contract. The money came from federal, state and local sources.
With the completion of the project, the airport is able to more effectively accommodate business, industrial and government travelers. The longer runway will accommodate most corporate jets.
There is also a new taxiway and an expanded apron for aircraft parking.
The airport has storage available for private aircraft, as well as maintenance and fuel services.
The Kennett Municipal Airport is located at 400 Airport Road, just east of the Delta Fairgrounds.