- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Cow causes accident on I-55
A Tennessee man was injured early Tuesday morning after he attempted to avoid a cow on Interstate 55 near Oak Ridge.
Shelby G. Gatewood, 48, of Dyersburg, Tenn., was traveling southbound near mile marker 113 on I-55 when a cow ran onto the median at around 3 a.m., according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Gatewood, driving a 2006 International truck, then attempted to avoid the cow, but hit and killed the animal. Gatewood drove onto the median, crossed the northbound lanes and ran off the road into a nearby field.
The International sustained extensive damage. Gatewood was taken by ambulance to Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau, where he was treated for moderate injuries.