- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Virginia B. Harris, 84, of Fairfield, Ohio, formerly of Cape Girardeau, passed away Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2008, at Mercy Hospital in Fairfield.
She was born July 4, 1924, in Cape Girardeau, to William and Olive Opal Jones Kimbel. She was raised by her mother and stepfather, Cecil C. Turner Sr.
A gifted musician, Virginia played the violin with the Shreveport, La., Symphony Orchestra. She returned to Cape Girardeau in later years and was a member of Girardot Rose Chapter of Sweet Adelines. She previously volunteered at Saint Francis Medical Center. She was a member of Sacred Heart Church in Fairfield and Knights of Columbus 8115 Ladies Auxiliary. Her last four years were spent in Fairfield, where her family resides.
She will be greatly missed by a daughter, Karen (Jim) Stemann; four grandchildren, Michael (Julie) Cain, David Cain, Brian Cain and Marc (Stephanie) Stemann; three great-grandchildren, Erin Virginia Cain, Derek Baker and Stephanie Baker; a brother, Cecil Turner Jr.; a sister, Judy Hanebrink; and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.
She was preceded in death by her mother, Opal Turner; stepfather, Cecil Turner Sr.; her husband, Herbert T. Harris; and a sister, Jean Olive Kimbel.
Visitation will be from 10:30 a.m. to service time Thursday at McCombs Funeral Home in Cape Girardeau.
The funeral will be at noon Thursday at the funeral home, with the Rev. David Hulshof officiating. Burial will follow in Fairmount Cemetery.
Arrangements by McCombs Funeral Home in Cape Girardeau and Avance Funeral Home in Fairfield.
Memorials are suggested to Sacred Heart Church Building Fund.