- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Custom cuts: Local hairstylist provides free haircuts to special-needs children (6/26/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)2
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)4
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
LFCS and Kasten
Vernon L. Kasten of Jackson was, until his death in 2004, involved with and a supporter of many community endeavors that were uplifting and provided opportunities to countless individuals. Among so many other things, Kasten was known for his devotion to his family. This spilled over to organizations like the Lutheran Family and Children's Services of Missouri, which recently dedicated its fine new facility on Blattner Drive in Cape Girardeau in honor of Kasten.
During his full and active life, Kasten was president of several family enterprises, including Kasten Concrete Products in Cape Girardeau and Kasten Clay Products and Kasten Masonry Sales in Jackson. He also was a co-founder of the Ceramo Co. in Jackson.
At the Lutheran Family and Children's Services facility, Kasten is remembered as someone who loved children and as someone who cared about the needs of others. He acted on those needs and concerns by devoting countless time and contributions to organizations and activities aimed at improving the opportunities and welfare of so many individuals, young and old.
Congratulations to the Lutheran Family and Children's Services on its new facility, and special congratulations to Vernon Kasten and his family, which remains just as committed to his high ideals.