- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Zelma Clodean Proffer, 92, of Oak Ridge passed away Saturday, Nov. 8, 2008, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
She was born Jan. 22, 1916, in Oak Ridge, daughter of Fredrick Carl "Fritz" and Josephine Wilke Suhr. She and Luther Marvin Proffer were married March 31, 1950. He passed away Oct. 25, 1991.
Proffer attended the former Fulbright School west of Oak Ridge, and was baptized and confirmed at the former Kurreville Lutheran Church. She had been a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Jackson since 1961.
She worked at the former Jackson Hosiery Mill, farmed with her husband and provided in-home domestic care to several families.
She is survived by several nieces and nephews and many great-nieces and great-nephews.
In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by three brothers, Otis, Kenneth and Fred Suhr, and her parents.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today at the McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at the funeral home.
Interment will follow in Russell Heights Cemetery in Jackson.
The family suggests memorials to Kurreville Lutheran Cemetery or St. Paul Lutheran Church.
Sympathy messages may be sent to the family online at www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.