- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Gene Benthal Sr.
Gene R. Benthal Sr., 67, of Cape Girardeau died Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2008, at Southeast Missouri Hospital.
He was born April 23, 1941, in Bragg City, Mo., son of L.K. and Edith Elizabeth Benthal. He and Cheral Weldon were married June 22, 1965, in Caruthersville, Mo.
Benthal served in the U.S. Navy from Aug. 29, 1963, to Aug. 29, 1967, and was honorably discharged as a radioman third class.
He was a member of the Church of Christ in Cape Girardeau. He helped establish BART and retired after 20 years of service.
Survivors include his wife; a daughter, Susan Fowlkes of Springfield, Mo.; two sons, Gene Benthal II of Cape Girardeau, Eric Benthal of Summersville, S.C.; and four grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, five brothers and four sisters.
Visitation will be from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday at McCombs Funeral Home in Cape Girardeau.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Monday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Bob Housby officiating. Burial will be in Missouri State Veterans Cemetery at Bloomfield, with committal service and the military honors at 2 p.m. Monday.