- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
Voters simply don't care that much
To the editor:
Regarding James Nall's Sept. 25 letter: Of course America is treated like a 10-year-old child by politicians, but not because people are dumb. People simply do not care. The average American has no interest in what is happening in the world or even within the United States. The average person wants to come home and sit in front of the TV and pass the evening away watching sitcoms and munching on potato chips. And they are quite happy to leave the details to their politicians.
Democracy requires informed and active participants, of which a great many Americans are unwilling or incapable of fulfilling. Don't forget, during the presidential election of 2000 only about 40 percent of registered voters bothered to vote. No wonder the politicians treat us like children.
MIKE FARRAR, Perryville, Mo.