- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Voters simply don't care that much
To the editor:
Regarding James Nall's Sept. 25 letter: Of course America is treated like a 10-year-old child by politicians, but not because people are dumb. People simply do not care. The average American has no interest in what is happening in the world or even within the United States. The average person wants to come home and sit in front of the TV and pass the evening away watching sitcoms and munching on potato chips. And they are quite happy to leave the details to their politicians.
Democracy requires informed and active participants, of which a great many Americans are unwilling or incapable of fulfilling. Don't forget, during the presidential election of 2000 only about 40 percent of registered voters bothered to vote. No wonder the politicians treat us like children.
MIKE FARRAR, Perryville, Mo.