- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)8
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)2
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
- Cape police warn of 'Grandparent Scam' (12/4/16)
Voters simply don't care that much
To the editor:
Regarding James Nall's Sept. 25 letter: Of course America is treated like a 10-year-old child by politicians, but not because people are dumb. People simply do not care. The average American has no interest in what is happening in the world or even within the United States. The average person wants to come home and sit in front of the TV and pass the evening away watching sitcoms and munching on potato chips. And they are quite happy to leave the details to their politicians.
Democracy requires informed and active participants, of which a great many Americans are unwilling or incapable of fulfilling. Don't forget, during the presidential election of 2000 only about 40 percent of registered voters bothered to vote. No wonder the politicians treat us like children.
MIKE FARRAR, Perryville, Mo.