- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)2
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)2
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
Voters simply don't care that much
To the editor:
Regarding James Nall's Sept. 25 letter: Of course America is treated like a 10-year-old child by politicians, but not because people are dumb. People simply do not care. The average American has no interest in what is happening in the world or even within the United States. The average person wants to come home and sit in front of the TV and pass the evening away watching sitcoms and munching on potato chips. And they are quite happy to leave the details to their politicians.
Democracy requires informed and active participants, of which a great many Americans are unwilling or incapable of fulfilling. Don't forget, during the presidential election of 2000 only about 40 percent of registered voters bothered to vote. No wonder the politicians treat us like children.
MIKE FARRAR, Perryville, Mo.