- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Central tennis ends with 14-0 dual mark
The Central girls tennis team completed its regular season with a 14-0 record in dual matches after beating visiting Sikeston 8-1 on Monday afternoon.
The Tigers won five of the six singles and swept the three doubles matches.
Central will compete in the nine-team Class 2 District 1 tournament Thursday at the Dwight Davis Tennis Center in Forest Park in St. Louis.
1. Jenni DeWitt (S) def Dani Gross 8-1
2. Monica Toole (C) def. Chelsea Gilliland 8-3
3. Brett Ford (C) def. Tess Marshall 8-3
4. Liz LaFoe (C) def. Britany Bohannon 8-1
5. Sarah Ford (C) def. Emily Bowman 8-0
6. Lindsey Pingel (C) def. Jessica Colwick 8-1.
1. Gross-B. Ford (C) def. DeWitt-Gilliland 8-6
2. Toole- LaFoe (C) def. Bowman-Bohannon 8-3
3. S. Ford-Pingel (C) def. Marshall-Colwick 8-2
JV winners: Singles -- Maggie Limbaugh, Jill Blattner, Paige Foley, Brittney Hiett, Kristen Ford, Claire Seger, Emily Hiett, Kaitlyn Spalding; Doubles -- Limbaugh-Blattner, Foley-B. Hiett, Carsen Bahn-Lauren Tobin, Karrie Moll-Spalding
Kelly 9, Jackson 0
Whitney Beggs and Kelly Essner teamed up to throw a perfect game, and the Hawks romped at home.
Beggs struck out eight batters in four innings, and Essner struck out five in the final three innings. Last week, Beggs pitched a nine-inning perfect game against Poplar Bluff.
Mindy Robert went 3-for-4 with a triple and three RBIs for the Hawks (18-6), and Jessica Burnett and Rachel Kline each added two hits.
WP -- Whitney Beggs, 8-4. LP -- Darla Mangels. 3B -- Mindy Robert (K). Multiple hits -- Kelly, Robert 3-4, Jessica Burnett 2-3; Rachel Kline 2-4. Records -- Kelly 18-6.
St. Louis Notre Dame 1, Cape Notre Dame 0
Kristain Burger allowed only four hits and one walk through six innings but suffered her first loss on the mound as the Bulldogs (17-6) fell on the road.
St. Louis Notre Dame scored its lone run in the fifth inning on an inside-the-park home run with two outs and two strikes.
Alana Weissmueller managed the Bulldogs' only hit.
WP -- Bauer. LP -- Kristain Burger, 7-1. HR -- Dillinger (SL). 2B -- Alana Weissmueller (Cape ND). Multiple hits -- ND-SL, Dillinger 2-3. Records -- ND-Cape 17-6.
Kacie Ritter had five kills and five assists to lead Advance to a home victory. Alicia Broshuis added six assists for the Hornets (12-9-1).
JV -- Advance (12-6) 25-11, 25-13.
Courtney Nenninger had seven kills and three blocks, but Oran (6-12-1) lost on the road. Carmen Duncan had six kills for Oran while Tori St. Cin had 10 digs and Mandi Wood added five blocks.
JV -- Oran won 25-23, 25-20.
* The Central JV football team (3-0) beat visiting Farmington 20-0. Blake Slattery scored on runs of 5 yards and 1 yard, and he threw a two-point conversion pass to Scott Dunaway. Hykeem Hammonds scored the other TD on a 42-yard run.
-- From staff reports