- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Area calendar 10/30/08
* Girls youth league: Registration is open for the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department's girls youth basketball league. Games will be played Saturdays, beginning Jan. 10. There is a mandatory coaches meeting Nov. 19 at 6:30 p.m. at the Osage Community Centre. The league will have four divisions — first- and second-graders; third- and fourth-graders; fifth- and sixth-graders; and seventh- and eighth-graders. Cost: $325 per team. Deadline: Nov. 14. Info: Amy Roth, 334-2859.
* Points for Pizza: The 11th annual Points for Pizza hot shot contest will take place Nov. 22 at the multipurpose building, located by Jackson High School. Boys and girls ages 9 to 17 are invited to compete for pizzas and Gatorade. Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. Info: Jackson Parks and Recreation, 204-8848.
* Men's league: Registration is open for the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department's men's basketball league. The league will be comprised of five divisions. Games will be played Monday through Thursday evenings, Saturday mornings and afternoons and Sunday afternoons and evenings. They will be played at the A.C. Brase Arena and the Osage Community Centre. A team must have at least five players. There will be a managers meeting Dec. 8 at 6:30 p.m. at the Osage Community Centre. Deadline: Dec. 8. Cost: $300 per team. Info or to register: Heather at the Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* Women's league: Registration is open for the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department's women's basketball league. There will be one division and games will be played Tuesday evenings at the Osage Community Centre. Babysitting will be offered for the children of players. Deadline: Jan. 9. Cost: $225 per team. Info or to register: Amy Roth, 334-2859.
* Sunbeams clinic: The Southeast Missouri State cheerleaders will hold a Sunbeams clinic for girls ages 4 to 12 at the Student Rec Center. It will run from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Nov. 14 and 8:30 to 11 a.m. Nov. 15. The Nov. 14 session is for ages 7 to 12 only, while the Nov. 15 session is for the entire age group. All Sunbeams will perform at halftime of Southeast's Nov. 15 football game, which starts at 1 p.m. The clinic will feature skill instruction for cheer, including chants, motions and jumps. Cost: $30 for girls ages 4 to 6; $35 for girls ages 7 to 12. Info or to register: Stacy Cummings, 291-8786.
* Strongman contest: Fitness Plus will host a strongman contest Nov. 8 from 8 a.m. to noon. There will be two divisions based on a participant's weight — under 200 pounds and over 200 pounds. The contest will consist of four events — bench press, squat, tire flip and farmers walk. Deadline: Friday. Info or to register: Darren Harris, 331-5302.
* Officials association meeting: The Heartland Officials Association will hold its monthly meeting Sunday at 6 p.m. in room 107 at the Southeast Missouri State Student Rec Center. The focus of the meeting will be in-depth rules discussion, and the agenda primarily is for new or inexperienced officials, but all officials are welcome. Info or to apply for membership: Rick Heuring, 264-3643 or 450-8134.
* Southeast Sport Management 5K: The Southeast Missouri State sport management program will host a 5K run Nov. 8. The race starts at 10 a.m. at the Southeast Intramural Pavilion at the corner of Bertling Street and Old Sprigg Street Rd. Race-day registration is from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Pre-registration race fees are $15 for community members and $10 for Southeast students and senior citizens. The race-day fee is $20. Age divisions range from 17-and-under to 40-and-over. Info: Beth Easter, 986-6744.
* Indoor league: The Cape Girardeau Noon Optimists will hold registration for their recreational indoor soccer league Monday at 6 p.m. at the Show Me Center. The league is open to boys and girls, with divisions from kindergarten through 12th grade. Play begins in November and concludes by mid January, with all games played at Houck Field House. Cost: $30 per child, which includes a T-shirt. Info: Craig Billmeyer, 335-4181.
* Turkey Day Tournament: The Cape Area Tennis Association will hold its annual Turkey Day tennis tournament Nov. 22 and 23 at the Class Act Family Fitness Center in Jackson. There will be men's singles and doubles, women's singles and mixed doubles. Cost: $20 for singles, $12 for each doubles player. Deadline: Nov. 19. Info or to register: Donna Ryan, 332-1614.
* Co-ed tournament: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host its 21st annual Set-n-Spike co-ed tournament Sunday at the Osage Community Centre. Check-in and warmup begins at 9 a.m., and pool play starts at 9:30 a.m. Cost: $60 per team. Deadline: today. Info: Amy Roth, 334-2859.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.