- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Illinois man charged with attempted murder
ANNA, Ill. -- Langley B. Smith, 20, of Dongola, Ill., has been arrested for an alleged attempted murder of his ex-girlfriend.
The Union County State Attorney's office said that around midnight on Sunday, Smith forcibly entered the home of his former 20-year-old girlfriend in Anna after she refused to speak to him. Police said Smith then allegedly sexually assaulted, kicked and strangled the victim to the point of her nearly losing consciousness.
Smith also damaged a bathroom door and other items in the home.
The victim eventually escaped and reached a neighbor's home four houses down the street, where they assisted her and called police, who arrested Smith shortly after her escape. The victim was transported to Union County Hospital in Anna, where she was treated and released.
In addition to attempted first degree murder, Smith faces charges of home invasion, three counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault, unlawful restraint, criminal damage to property and two counts of domestic battery.
Bond is set at $250,000. Smith is being held at Tri-County Detention Center in Ullin, Ill., and will have his first appearance in court today.