Suspicions of foul play doused in Saturday's mobile home fire
Monday, October 27, 2008
The investigation of a mobile home fire that killed a Scott City man on Saturday night has ended.
"We have no reason to believe that it was foul play, so it's going down as undetermined," said Scott City fire chief Jay Cassout.
Firefighters found the body of Jimmy D. Gray, 45, near the front door of his home. The mobile home was completely engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at 8:30 p.m. Saturday.
Cassout had asked the state fire marshal to investigate. The structure was too damaged for investigators to safely enter it after the fire was put out.
"He had a canine out there, but he didn't turn anything up," Cassout said. "One or two of my guys put a foot through the floor, but they didn't get hurt," he said.
Cassout said people should take time to check their homes for fire hazards and make the necessary changes.
"If you smoke, don't smoke in bed. Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Change the batteries when you change your clocks," he said.