- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
- Victims of alleged Ponzi scheme seek compensation from killer's victims (8/21/16)3
- Cape Central football team falls to state-ranked Liberty in Pixley's debut (8/20/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
Fla. woman goes to jail over $7.45 restaurant bill
FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- A woman has been charged after choosing jail rather than paying her tab for $7.45 at a central Florida restaurant.
According to a police report, Maryanne O'Neill, 66, ordered coffee and a sandwich at a Waffle House restaurant Saturday but refused to pay the bill. The restaurant called the police.
A police officer asked O'Neill to pay or go to jail and she refused to pay.
O'Neill could not be reached for comment at any listed phone number.
A jail official said she was released Monday from the St. Lucie County Jail. She is charged with obtaining food or lodging with intent to defraud, a second-degree misdemeanor. If convicted of a second-degree misdemeanor she could face up to 60 days in jail and a fine of $500.