- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)7
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)20
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
- Former KFVS12 reporter talks about recovery from eating disorder (2/23/17)11
Fla. woman goes to jail over $7.45 restaurant bill
FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- A woman has been charged after choosing jail rather than paying her tab for $7.45 at a central Florida restaurant.
According to a police report, Maryanne O'Neill, 66, ordered coffee and a sandwich at a Waffle House restaurant Saturday but refused to pay the bill. The restaurant called the police.
A police officer asked O'Neill to pay or go to jail and she refused to pay.
O'Neill could not be reached for comment at any listed phone number.
A jail official said she was released Monday from the St. Lucie County Jail. She is charged with obtaining food or lodging with intent to defraud, a second-degree misdemeanor. If convicted of a second-degree misdemeanor she could face up to 60 days in jail and a fine of $500.