- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Fla. woman goes to jail over $7.45 restaurant bill
FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- A woman has been charged after choosing jail rather than paying her tab for $7.45 at a central Florida restaurant.
According to a police report, Maryanne O'Neill, 66, ordered coffee and a sandwich at a Waffle House restaurant Saturday but refused to pay the bill. The restaurant called the police.
A police officer asked O'Neill to pay or go to jail and she refused to pay.
O'Neill could not be reached for comment at any listed phone number.
A jail official said she was released Monday from the St. Lucie County Jail. She is charged with obtaining food or lodging with intent to defraud, a second-degree misdemeanor. If convicted of a second-degree misdemeanor she could face up to 60 days in jail and a fine of $500.