- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- MCA calls for protection of those found not guilty of animal abuse (1/10/18)2
- Scaling up: Long John Silver's adding an A&W (1/10/18)3
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Southeast to cut workforce to meet budget needs caused by state cuts (1/10/18)7
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Church, businesses set up pop-up homeless shelter as winter storm approaches (1/12/18)1
- Plaintiffs' attorney wants jury to see basement steps at Cape courthouse (1/10/18)
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
Fla. woman goes to jail over $7.45 restaurant bill
FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- A woman has been charged after choosing jail rather than paying her tab for $7.45 at a central Florida restaurant.
According to a police report, Maryanne O'Neill, 66, ordered coffee and a sandwich at a Waffle House restaurant Saturday but refused to pay the bill. The restaurant called the police.
A police officer asked O'Neill to pay or go to jail and she refused to pay.
O'Neill could not be reached for comment at any listed phone number.
A jail official said she was released Monday from the St. Lucie County Jail. She is charged with obtaining food or lodging with intent to defraud, a second-degree misdemeanor. If convicted of a second-degree misdemeanor she could face up to 60 days in jail and a fine of $500.