- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Mother charged after toddler falls out of moving car (7/29/16)3
- Seeking new history: Centurion Development buys former Woolworth building at 1 N. Main St. (7/28/16)5
- Police: Child's video revealed stepfather's abuse of sibling (7/28/16)3
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape to get small-market ride-sharing service carGO (7/29/16)10
- Food plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
Fla. woman goes to jail over $7.45 restaurant bill
FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- A woman has been charged after choosing jail rather than paying her tab for $7.45 at a central Florida restaurant.
According to a police report, Maryanne O'Neill, 66, ordered coffee and a sandwich at a Waffle House restaurant Saturday but refused to pay the bill. The restaurant called the police.
A police officer asked O'Neill to pay or go to jail and she refused to pay.
O'Neill could not be reached for comment at any listed phone number.
A jail official said she was released Monday from the St. Lucie County Jail. She is charged with obtaining food or lodging with intent to defraud, a second-degree misdemeanor. If convicted of a second-degree misdemeanor she could face up to 60 days in jail and a fine of $500.