- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Area calendar 10/23/08
* Girls youth league: Registration is open for the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department's girls youth basketball league. Games will be played Saturdays, beginning Jan. 10. There is a mandatory coaches meeting Nov. 19 at 6:30 p.m. at the Osage Community Centre. The league will have four divisions — first- and second-graders; third- and fourth-grader; fifth- and sixth-grader; and seventh- and eighth-graders. Cost: $325 per team. Deadline: Nov. 14. Info: Amy Roth, 334-2859.
* Points for Pizza: The 11th annual Points for Pizza hot shot contest will take place Nov. 22 at the multipurpose building, located by the Jackson High School. Boys and girls ages 9 to 17 are invited to compete for pizzas and Gatorade. Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. Info: Jackson Parks and Recreation, 204-8848.
* Men's league: Registration is open for the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department's men's basketball league. The league will be comprised of five divisions. Games will be played Monday through Thursday evenings, Saturday mornings and afternoons and Sunday afternoons and evenings. They wil be played at the A.C. Brase Arena and the Osage Community Centre. A team must have at least five players. There will be a managers meeting Dec. 8 at 6:30 p.m at the Osage Community Centre. Deadline: Dec. 8. Cost: $300 per team. Info or to register: Heather at the Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* Sunbeams clinic: The Southeast Missouri State cheerleaders will hold a Sunbeams clinic for girls ages 4 to 12 at the Student Rec Center. It will run from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Nov. 14 and 8:30 to 11 a.m. Nov. 15. The Nov. 14 session is for ages 7 to 12 only, while the Nov. 15 session is for the entire age group. All Sunbeams will perform at halftime of Southeast's Nov. 15 football game, which starts at 1 p.m. The clinic will feature skill instruction for cheer, including chants, motions and jumps. Cost: $30 for girls ages 4 to 6; $35 for girls ages 7 to 12. Info or to register: Stacy Cummings, 291-8786.
* Indoor league: The Cape Girardeau Noon Optimists will hold registration for their recreational indoor soccer league Nov. 3 at 6 p.m. at the Show Me Center. The league is open to boys and girls, with divisions from kindergarten through 12th grade. Play begins in November and concludes by mid January, with all games played at Houck Field House. Cost: $30 per child, which includes a T-shirt. Info: Craig Billmeyer, 335-4181.
* Co-ed tournament: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host its 21st annual Set-n-Spike co-ed tournament Nov. 2 at the Osage Community Centre. Check-in and warmup begins at 9 a.m., and pool play starts at 9:30 a.m. Cost: $60 per team. Deadline: Oct. 30. Info: Amy Roth, 334-2859.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.