- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
- Victims of alleged Ponzi scheme seek compensation from killer's victims (8/21/16)3
- Cape Central football team falls to state-ranked Liberty in Pixley's debut (8/20/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
Yard signs give voice to victims
To the editor:
I have a yellow Vote Pro-Life sign in my yard. The signs in and of themselves have no party symbols or design that would indicate support for any particular party or candidate. Even the colors are not those typically used in American politics.
The purpose for displaying these signs is to remind voters that there is a group of 1.3 million Americans who have no voice in the political process. They have little concern for the war against terror and don't particularly care about John Kerry's Vietnam War record or George Bush's National Guard service. They are unable to contribute to Moveon.org or the Media Fund. Taxes, tort reform, corporate welfare and environmental issues haven't reached their radar screen. However, they will be denied the privilege of casting a ballot in 18 years because they were denied the right to life this year.
I suppose there are pro-life positions supported by the Democratic Party line of abortion for any conceivable reason, partial-birth abortion, the spread of abortion technology to Third World countries, abortifacients for birth control, embryo dissection and experimentation, embryonic stem-cell research and therapeutic cloning of human beings for medical treatment. None comes close to matching the certain loss of 1.4 million Americans yearly due to surgical abortion alone. The scream of those silenced by abortion can be deafening at times to those who have ears to hear. Their only voice are those yellow Vote Pro-Life signs.
THEODORE J. GRIESHOP, Jackson