- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Wanted - Name for Redhawks mascot
Southeast Missouri State University wants the public to suggest names for its new Redhawks mascot. A university mascot committee will narrow the choices and ask Southeast students, boosters, alumni and the public to vote during Homecoming week Oct. 25 to 31.
Southeast athletics marketing director Charles Wiles said suggestions will be accepted online at www2.semo.edu/urelations/mascot/ through Oct. 16. Wiles said mascots for universities and professional teams have names. The University of Missouri's tiger mascot is called Truman. The University of Wisconsin has Bucky the Badger.
The mascot design committee is calling for name suggestions as it seeks to develop a Redhawk costume and find the right student or students to wear it.
The university's board of regents voted earlier this year to retire the school's longtime Indian and Otahkian nicknames in favor of Redhawks. The new nickname will be used starting in the spring semester, school officials said.
|-- Southeast Missourian|