- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Missouri unemployment rate rises to 6.6 percent in August
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — Missouri's unemployment rate continued to rise in August, though the state showed growth in the total number of jobs.
U.S. Department of Labor statistics released Friday show Missouri's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 6.6 percent last month — up 0.2 percentage points from July, when the state set a 17-year high.
Missouri's unemployment rate now is at its highest level since June 1991.
Overall nonfarm employment rose by 3,000 jobs in August, mainly because of a 5,800 job increase in the government sector that includes public schools.
Manufacturing jobs declined by 3,700 in August.
Compared with August 2007, Missouri employment was down by 16,900 jobs.