- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Redhawks volleyball wins OVC opener in five games
The Southeast Missouri State volleyball team needed five games, but the Redhawks were able to open Ohio Valley Conference play with a victory Friday night.
Southeast dropped the first two games to Eastern Kentucky before rallying to win the next three.
Claire Keaton led Southeast with 24 kills, while Karleigh DeLong put down 15. Both players finished with double-doubles as Keaton added 13 digs and DeLong had 11.
Southeast's offense awoke in the third game when it didn't have a single hitting error, and finished with a .524 attack percentage.
Sarah Barth put up 26 assists, while Alyssa Aston finished with 22 in the win.
Kelly Benacka served up three aces for Southeast.
Lindsey Loescher led the Colonels with 19 kills.
Game scores were 25-27, 21-25, 25-6, 25-19, 15-11.
Southeast plays the second of three straight OVC home matches today at 2 p.m. against preseason favorite Morehead State.
The Redhawks, Morehead State and Jacksonville State all tied for last year's regular-season OVC title.
Northern Illinois' Lindsey Curnock scored in the second half and the Huskies made it stand up at their home field.
Jessica Beckham made five saves for Southeast, which dropped to 0-4 with the 1-0 loss.
Nicole Bussman and Casey Kraft led Southeast with three shots apiece.
Southeast hosts Evansville at 7 p.m. Monday, followed by Friday's OVC opener at home against Murray State.
— From staff reports