- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Cape man pleads not guilty to robbery in connection with July 6 incident
At a court appearance Monday morning, Martavis Scales, a Cape Girardeau man facing charges of robbery and armed criminal action, pleaded not guilty to the offenses.
Scales waived his right to a formal arraignment on charges of armed criminal action, first-degree assault and robbery at a hearing before Circuit Judge Benjamin Lewis.
The case was set for review Sept. 22, along with that of co-defendant Nieko Kukyendoll.
The two men are charged with robbing a Cape Girardeau woman at gunpoint in her home July 6 and taking a shot at her when she walked outside a few weeks later.
The victim identified Kukyendoll in a lineup and Scales when his mug shot appeared on KFVS12 in connection with an unrelated shooting.
The armed criminal action and assault charges Scales faces stem from that shooting, which took place July 9 in the 600 block of Maple Street. Scales allegedly shot at a man but no serious injuries were reported.
Police eventually apprehended Scales at the Pear Tree Inn in Cape Girardeau.
Scales is being held at the Cape Girardeau County Jail on $150,000 cash-only bond.