- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Harbor Freight Tools store coming to Cape (3/29/17)9
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Cape school board rejects proposal to allow parochial-school students to play sports (3/28/17)81
- Ragsdale to replace Farrow as principal at Franklin Elementary (3/29/17)5
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- 'Construction with finesse' (3/26/17)2
- Chaffee district seeks bond issue for classrooms, property (3/26/17)4
- Suspended Southeast student pleads guilty to firearm charge from fatal Carbondale shooting (3/28/17)1
- Wide array of candidates run for Cape school board (3/27/17)7
Health, security are top issues
To the editor:
Missourians have just completed the primary season. As we begin seriously thinking about choices on Nov. 5, I hope two issues will remain front and center: health care and long-term financial security.
Health-care costs are out of control for both individuals and employers. One in four Americans has problems paying medical bills, and one in three says they have skipped treatment, tests or prescriptions because of costs. And 46 million Americans are uninsured.
Financial security is just as tenuous for many. National saving is at an all-time low, and pension plans are dwindling. Workers are not enrolled in 401(k) or other employer-sponsored retirement plans, and Social Security is not enough for those who rely solely on that benefit.
Washington is stuck in gridlock and too dominated by special interests. We need our leaders to address the financial security and health care problems that so many Americans faces.
I encourage all Missourians to join the Divided We Fail (www.dividedwefail.org) initiative that AARP has helped spearhead. Learn about health care and long-term financial security and how you can impact the top domestic issues in 2008.
If we don't work together to do something about these two issues, we will fail. We'll fail ourselves and future generations as well. And that can't happen.
ILENA ASLIN, Cape Girardeau