- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- Judge denies order of protection for woman accusing deputy of stalking her (6/23/18)5
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- Stooges in Jackson under new ownership (6/23/18)
- Poplar Bluff nail manufacturer gets hammered by new tariffs on steel (6/22/18)7
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Scott County Sheriff Wes Drury responds to issue involving deputy (6/23/18)2
- Neal Boyd blessed us all with his God-given talent (6/19/18)
Health, security are top issues
To the editor:
Missourians have just completed the primary season. As we begin seriously thinking about choices on Nov. 5, I hope two issues will remain front and center: health care and long-term financial security.
Health-care costs are out of control for both individuals and employers. One in four Americans has problems paying medical bills, and one in three says they have skipped treatment, tests or prescriptions because of costs. And 46 million Americans are uninsured.
Financial security is just as tenuous for many. National saving is at an all-time low, and pension plans are dwindling. Workers are not enrolled in 401(k) or other employer-sponsored retirement plans, and Social Security is not enough for those who rely solely on that benefit.
Washington is stuck in gridlock and too dominated by special interests. We need our leaders to address the financial security and health care problems that so many Americans faces.
I encourage all Missourians to join the Divided We Fail (www.dividedwefail.org) initiative that AARP has helped spearhead. Learn about health care and long-term financial security and how you can impact the top domestic issues in 2008.
If we don't work together to do something about these two issues, we will fail. We'll fail ourselves and future generations as well. And that can't happen.
ILENA ASLIN, Cape Girardeau