- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Former Sikeston DPS director denies knowing about allegations against detective (7/20/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)3
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- At least one Perryville cop disciplined for misconduct (7/20/17)1
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- More details emerge in Perryville police-misconduct case (7/21/17)
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
Health, security are top issues
To the editor:
Missourians have just completed the primary season. As we begin seriously thinking about choices on Nov. 5, I hope two issues will remain front and center: health care and long-term financial security.
Health-care costs are out of control for both individuals and employers. One in four Americans has problems paying medical bills, and one in three says they have skipped treatment, tests or prescriptions because of costs. And 46 million Americans are uninsured.
Financial security is just as tenuous for many. National saving is at an all-time low, and pension plans are dwindling. Workers are not enrolled in 401(k) or other employer-sponsored retirement plans, and Social Security is not enough for those who rely solely on that benefit.
Washington is stuck in gridlock and too dominated by special interests. We need our leaders to address the financial security and health care problems that so many Americans faces.
I encourage all Missourians to join the Divided We Fail (www.dividedwefail.org) initiative that AARP has helped spearhead. Learn about health care and long-term financial security and how you can impact the top domestic issues in 2008.
If we don't work together to do something about these two issues, we will fail. We'll fail ourselves and future generations as well. And that can't happen.
ILENA ASLIN, Cape Girardeau