- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Health, security are top issues
To the editor:
Missourians have just completed the primary season. As we begin seriously thinking about choices on Nov. 5, I hope two issues will remain front and center: health care and long-term financial security.
Health-care costs are out of control for both individuals and employers. One in four Americans has problems paying medical bills, and one in three says they have skipped treatment, tests or prescriptions because of costs. And 46 million Americans are uninsured.
Financial security is just as tenuous for many. National saving is at an all-time low, and pension plans are dwindling. Workers are not enrolled in 401(k) or other employer-sponsored retirement plans, and Social Security is not enough for those who rely solely on that benefit.
Washington is stuck in gridlock and too dominated by special interests. We need our leaders to address the financial security and health care problems that so many Americans faces.
I encourage all Missourians to join the Divided We Fail (www.dividedwefail.org) initiative that AARP has helped spearhead. Learn about health care and long-term financial security and how you can impact the top domestic issues in 2008.
If we don't work together to do something about these two issues, we will fail. We'll fail ourselves and future generations as well. And that can't happen.
ILENA ASLIN, Cape Girardeau