- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)3
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Record fails to back GOP promises
To the editor:
Republicans hold the presidency, solid majorities in both the House and Senate and thus the power to pass any legislation they choose. Let's compare speeches to actions since 2000.
Abortion: 2000 Republican platform: "We support a human life amendment to the Constitution É ." They did not pass one.
"Compassionate conservatism": 500,000 children lost health coverage. Uninsured, working Americans increased to one in six. Republican drug plan locks in seniors but lets drug companies raise prices. Only one in 10 eligible seniors joined. Medicare premiums rose 17 percent. Social Security: Bush took out $500 billion. Greenspan suggests we wait until our 70s for benefits.
Terrorism: "No nation-building" let the Israeli-Palestinian truce disintegrate. Saddam had no WMDs: 978 Americans killed, 6,916 wounded in action. Over 10,000 civilians dead. No indication that Iraq ever funded al-Qaida. No indication that we are safer.
"Tax relief": Families earning $57,000: $1,000 decrease. Earning $57,000-$75,600 paid more. Top 1 percent of families: $78,000 decrease.
Jobs: Bush promised to add 6 million, instead lost 7 million.
"Restrain federal spending": Not including military spending, federal discretionary spending increased 25 percent, largest growth since Nixon. Budget surplus became $400 billion deficit.
Being patriotic doesn't mean being gullible. "By their fruits ye shall know them."
IDA DOMAZLICKY, Cape Girardeau