- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- 'All Nite Skate' filming in Jackson this weekend (6/8/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
Forty-four teams from five states competed at the 16th annual Cape BBQ Fest held last month in Cape Girardeau. The event is always something to look forward to as Arena Park fills with an aura of fun and the aroma of smoked meat. Because of liability concerns, competitors were not able to share their products with the public, a snag we hope can be fixed next year.
But overall, the event was again a success with more participants than ever before. Nine new teams put their best meat forward in four categories -- chicken, pork, ribs and brisket. Winners took home $1,000 for first place and $750 for second. Congratulations to all winners, and especially the event organizers, the Jaycees, for taking this event to a higher level. The event raised an estimated $5,000 to $8,000 for the Toybox charity and is one of the Jaycees' two major fundraisers.