- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Forty-four teams from five states competed at the 16th annual Cape BBQ Fest held last month in Cape Girardeau. The event is always something to look forward to as Arena Park fills with an aura of fun and the aroma of smoked meat. Because of liability concerns, competitors were not able to share their products with the public, a snag we hope can be fixed next year.
But overall, the event was again a success with more participants than ever before. Nine new teams put their best meat forward in four categories -- chicken, pork, ribs and brisket. Winners took home $1,000 for first place and $750 for second. Congratulations to all winners, and especially the event organizers, the Jaycees, for taking this event to a higher level. The event raised an estimated $5,000 to $8,000 for the Toybox charity and is one of the Jaycees' two major fundraisers.