- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
Terrorism, safety are main issues
To the editor:
I heard U.S. Sen. Zell Miller from Georgia deliver the greatest speech of the century at the Republican National Convention. I was privileged to hear a true statesman and patriot. Miller spoke from the heart with compassion, eloquence and honesty. I believe we got a glimpse of the type of speeches our Founding Fathers gave as they forged the governing system that has provided the liberty and freedom we enjoy today.
In a previous presidential campaign we heard, "It's the economy, stupid." It's utter stupidity that says the economy, and not our security, is most important in this election. President Bush has been falsely blamed for our economic problems. On Sept. 11, 2001, 11 million jobs were lost in one day when those twin towers fell. I guarantee you it wasn't Bush who caused the loss of those jobs.
If you look at the massive military budget and debt we incurred because of the attack on our country, you can't help but see that the economy would be affected significantly. The terrorists are to blame for the devastation and destruction. The terrorists are the ones we are after. And the terrorists are the ones who will pay.
TOM McCANLESS, Pastor
Kewanee Missionary Baptist Church, Kewanee, Mo.