- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)8
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Putin has failed democracy pledge
To the editor:
There is a tragedy in Russia: the Kremlin and the brutal dictator running it. Vladimir Putin is no friend of democracy.
Jon Rust's commentary, no matter how well-meaning, was indifferent to the suffering the Russian people have had to endure under a long list of communist leaders.
Putin promised democracy and reform if he was elected. However, he has not allowed Chechnya to have freedom of choice in political candidates, nor has he brought economic reform to Chechnya. This was a true test of democracy, and Putin showed himself to be a liar and cheat. The only reason he is pleading to the West under the pretext of fighting terrorists is to gain international sympathy for a war he has escalated and can't win.
All the rebels are doing is fighting for independence from oppression. If they had a army, they would fight a traditional war with Russia. Since they don't, they have to use whatever option they have, and the only one is to kill innocent people in an effort to secure independence.
Are we the father of this monster called terrorism? Did we consider the implications before we crawled in bed with Osama bin Laden to get the Russians out of Afghanistan?
God is going to repay America for every wrong deed done in the name of democracy, and no one has immunity.
TIMMY JONES, Florissant, Mo.