- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
Texas' frightening fair fare
DALLAS -- Everything is bigger in Texas, especially the calorie counts at the State Fair, which will offer such delicacies this year as deep-fried s'mores and a fried banana split.
The State Fair of Texas begins late next month, and a competition is being held to honor its tastiest fried fare. The eight finalists were announced Wednesday.
They include the campfire favorite and the banana split, as well as chocolate truffles, grilled cheese and Jelly Bellys. And don't forget the chicken-fried bacon strips and fried chocolate-covered strawberry waffle balls on a stick.
Abel Gonzales, whose fried cookie dough took top honors last year, will defend his title with a pineapple ring battered and deep-fried, topped with banana-flavored whipped cream frozen by liquid nitrogen and ladled with strawberries and syrup. He calls it Fire & Ice.
The winner will be announced Monday.