- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)4
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Judge denies request to revoke sheriff's bond (6/25/17)3
Texas' frightening fair fare
DALLAS -- Everything is bigger in Texas, especially the calorie counts at the State Fair, which will offer such delicacies this year as deep-fried s'mores and a fried banana split.
The State Fair of Texas begins late next month, and a competition is being held to honor its tastiest fried fare. The eight finalists were announced Wednesday.
They include the campfire favorite and the banana split, as well as chocolate truffles, grilled cheese and Jelly Bellys. And don't forget the chicken-fried bacon strips and fried chocolate-covered strawberry waffle balls on a stick.
Abel Gonzales, whose fried cookie dough took top honors last year, will defend his title with a pineapple ring battered and deep-fried, topped with banana-flavored whipped cream frozen by liquid nitrogen and ladled with strawberries and syrup. He calls it Fire & Ice.
The winner will be announced Monday.