- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)20
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Texas' frightening fair fare
DALLAS -- Everything is bigger in Texas, especially the calorie counts at the State Fair, which will offer such delicacies this year as deep-fried s'mores and a fried banana split.
The State Fair of Texas begins late next month, and a competition is being held to honor its tastiest fried fare. The eight finalists were announced Wednesday.
They include the campfire favorite and the banana split, as well as chocolate truffles, grilled cheese and Jelly Bellys. And don't forget the chicken-fried bacon strips and fried chocolate-covered strawberry waffle balls on a stick.
Abel Gonzales, whose fried cookie dough took top honors last year, will defend his title with a pineapple ring battered and deep-fried, topped with banana-flavored whipped cream frozen by liquid nitrogen and ladled with strawberries and syrup. He calls it Fire & Ice.
The winner will be announced Monday.