- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
Texas' frightening fair fare
DALLAS -- Everything is bigger in Texas, especially the calorie counts at the State Fair, which will offer such delicacies this year as deep-fried s'mores and a fried banana split.
The State Fair of Texas begins late next month, and a competition is being held to honor its tastiest fried fare. The eight finalists were announced Wednesday.
They include the campfire favorite and the banana split, as well as chocolate truffles, grilled cheese and Jelly Bellys. And don't forget the chicken-fried bacon strips and fried chocolate-covered strawberry waffle balls on a stick.
Abel Gonzales, whose fried cookie dough took top honors last year, will defend his title with a pineapple ring battered and deep-fried, topped with banana-flavored whipped cream frozen by liquid nitrogen and ladled with strawberries and syrup. He calls it Fire & Ice.
The winner will be announced Monday.