Hannibal mourns girl in "huffing" death

Thursday, August 28, 2008

HANNIBAL, Mo. (AP) -- Residents of the northeast Missouri town of Hannibal are grieving the death of a 12-year-old girl who inhaled aerosol hair spray.

Sierrah Yarbrough was found Sunday in her bed. She was taken to a hospital in Columbia and died Wednesday.

Authorities believe Sierrah accidentally poisoned herself "huffing" the hair spray. The U.S. Department of Justice estimates that more than 1 million people -- mostly ages 12 to 17 -- abuse inhalants to get high.

Several people gathered Wednesday outside of Sierrah's home for a candlelight vigil, recalling Sierrah as a sweet girl with a bright smile. Organizer Tomika Kyle says too many children are left unsupervised with idle time.


Information from: Hannibal Courier-Post, http://www.hannibal.net

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: