- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Bean, Morris tie for top honors
Mary Ellen Bean and Kathy Morris tied for first place in the Cape Girardeau Country Club's Women's Golf Association's handicap tournament.
Judi Brey and Irene Thomas tied for third place.
Suedekum records hole in one
Cape Girardeau's Jerry Suedekum scored his first career hole in one on hole No. 4 at Kimbeland Country Club.
Suedekum used a 6-iron on the 115-yard hole.
Dub Suedekum, Herb Wickham and Ed Lewis witnessed the shot.
Long earns medalist honors
Vickie Long was the medalist at the weekly Kimbeland Ladies golf outing.
Barb Johnson won the championship flight, Margaret Sanders topped the A flight, Dorothy Holland and Joan Clark tied atop the B flight and Mary Rose James won the C flight.
Gators horde gold medals
The Gators swimming team won 26 gold medals, 18 silver and 30 bronze at the AAU Junior Olympics meet in Detroit.
Gabby Vieira led the way with four national AAU records in the girls 9 and 10 division. She won gold in the 50, 100 and 200 freestyle, 50 and 100 butterfly, 200 individual medley and 100 backstroke.
Other first-place finishers were: Anne Wolpers (17) in the 50 freestyle, 400 freestyle relay and 200 freestyle relay; Kyleigh Troxel (13) in the 200 butterfly; Kristian Troxel (13) in the mixed 400 freestyle relay and 200 butterfly; Morgan Maguire (12) in the 100, 200 and 400 freestyle; Thomas Janisse (17) in the mixed 200 and 400 freestyle relays; Austin Hobbs (10) in the 50, 100 and 200 freestyle, 50 butterfly, 200 individual medley, 100 backstroke and 50 breaststroke; and Anna Esswein (15) in the mixed 400 freestyle relay.
Schafer takes first in A flight
Clara Schafer finished first in the A flight at the Cape Chip A Ways weekly golf outing.
Dottie Gill and Jeana Koch tied atop the B flight.
Jackson's Vangilder brings home title
Jackson's Jim Vangilder rode Pet Squirrel to a national championship at the National Cutting Horse Association's Summer Spectacular in Fort Worth, Texas.
Vangilder scored 223 points to win the classic challenge non-pro division. It was his sixth NCHA championship.
It was the first time Vangilder showed Pet Squirrel since he won the Brazos Bash non-pro in September 2007.
-- From staff reports