- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)22
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Stolen manhole covers a mystery
LUFKIN, Texas -- It's an open case -- someone has been stealing manhole covers in Lufkin. Police say at least nine manhole covers have been swiped this month.
Lt. David Young said that's as many manhole covers that the city loses in an entire year.
Investigators aren't sure why anyone would steal a Lufkin manhole cover, especially since the name of the East Texas city is worked right into the metal.
Police are concerned somebody could get hurt coming upon an unexpected opening in a road.
Authorities believe the thieves might be trying to sell the 150-pound manhole covers for scrap metal.
Lufkin is 115 miles northeast of Houston.