- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Eldorado Resorts to buy Isle of Capri Casinos (9/20/16)7
- Community helps Jackson family with two cases of muscular dystrophy (9/19/16)
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)6
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
Stolen manhole covers a mystery
LUFKIN, Texas -- It's an open case -- someone has been stealing manhole covers in Lufkin. Police say at least nine manhole covers have been swiped this month.
Lt. David Young said that's as many manhole covers that the city loses in an entire year.
Investigators aren't sure why anyone would steal a Lufkin manhole cover, especially since the name of the East Texas city is worked right into the metal.
Police are concerned somebody could get hurt coming upon an unexpected opening in a road.
Authorities believe the thieves might be trying to sell the 150-pound manhole covers for scrap metal.
Lufkin is 115 miles northeast of Houston.