- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)34
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Stolen manhole covers a mystery
LUFKIN, Texas -- It's an open case -- someone has been stealing manhole covers in Lufkin. Police say at least nine manhole covers have been swiped this month.
Lt. David Young said that's as many manhole covers that the city loses in an entire year.
Investigators aren't sure why anyone would steal a Lufkin manhole cover, especially since the name of the East Texas city is worked right into the metal.
Police are concerned somebody could get hurt coming upon an unexpected opening in a road.
Authorities believe the thieves might be trying to sell the 150-pound manhole covers for scrap metal.
Lufkin is 115 miles northeast of Houston.