- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
Stolen manhole covers a mystery
LUFKIN, Texas -- It's an open case -- someone has been stealing manhole covers in Lufkin. Police say at least nine manhole covers have been swiped this month.
Lt. David Young said that's as many manhole covers that the city loses in an entire year.
Investigators aren't sure why anyone would steal a Lufkin manhole cover, especially since the name of the East Texas city is worked right into the metal.
Police are concerned somebody could get hurt coming upon an unexpected opening in a road.
Authorities believe the thieves might be trying to sell the 150-pound manhole covers for scrap metal.
Lufkin is 115 miles northeast of Houston.