- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Stolen manhole covers a mystery
LUFKIN, Texas -- It's an open case -- someone has been stealing manhole covers in Lufkin. Police say at least nine manhole covers have been swiped this month.
Lt. David Young said that's as many manhole covers that the city loses in an entire year.
Investigators aren't sure why anyone would steal a Lufkin manhole cover, especially since the name of the East Texas city is worked right into the metal.
Police are concerned somebody could get hurt coming upon an unexpected opening in a road.
Authorities believe the thieves might be trying to sell the 150-pound manhole covers for scrap metal.
Lufkin is 115 miles northeast of Houston.