- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Area digest 8/15/08
Southeast at Mizzou game time set
The time for Southeast Missouri State's football game at the University of Missouri on Sept. 6 has been set.
Southeast and MU will square off at 6 p.m. at Faurot Field in Columbia, Mo. The contest, MU's home opener, will be televised by Fox Sports Midwest.
Tickets, priced at $39, are available at Southeast's ticket office inside Houck Field House.
The Tigers are coming off a 12-win season and No. 4 national ranking, both high water marks for the program.
MU, which won last year's Big 12 North Conference title, has been ranked among the nation's top 10 in every preseason poll.
The MU game will be Southeast's second of the season, after the Aug. 28 home opener against Southwest Baptist.
Two of Southeast's first three games will be televised. In addition to the Fox Sports Midwest regional telecast, the Redhawks' Sept. 11 Ohio Valley Conference opener at home against Tennessee Tech will be televised nationally by ESPNU.
Southeast will hold its first full-fledged scrimmage of fall camp at 3 p.m. Saturday at Houck Stadium.
The scrimmage is open to the public, as are all Southeast practices.
Southeast soccer team to wrap up preseason
The Southeast women's soccer team will continue its three-game exhibition schedule tonight when Arkansas State visits Houck Stadium for a 7 p.m. start.
Southeast posted a 3-2 victory at Indiana State on Tuesday in its exhibition opener.
The Redhawks close out their exhibition slate Sunday when Missouri-St. Louis comes to Houck for a 7 p.m. game.
Southeast opens the regular season Aug. 22 at home against Saint Louis University.
Giants promote former Capaha
Caruthersville native Matt Palmer, who pitched for the Plaza Tire Capahas from 1999 through 2001, is in the major leagues for the first time.
Palmer, a right-hander, was called up by the San Francisco Giants from Class AAA Fresno on Thursday.
"I was tickled to death to hear he went up," Capahas manager Jess Bolen said. "Matt's a nice guy and a real competitor."
Palmer, in his seventh professional season, started 24 games for Fresno this year, going 6-9 with a 4.13 ERA.
San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said on the club's Web site that Palmer's "ability to pitch multiple innings in relief should prove handy while the Giants play without a rest until Aug. 28."
Palmer, 29, is a Caruthersville High School graduate who played collegiately at Three Rivers Community College and Missouri State. He was selected by the Giants in the 31st round of the 2002 draft.
— From staff reports