- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Out of the past 9/1/04
10 years ago: Sept. 1, 1994
Rich Payne, teacher at Cape Girardeau Central Junior High School for five years, has been named dean of students for junior high school; Payne, 33, also has been assistant football coach and head girls' track coach.
25 years ago: Sept. 1, 1979
After telephone service to Saint Francis Medical Center was interrupted Friday for about two hours, hospital officials decided to develop secondary communications system for emergency use.
50 years ago: Sept. 1, 1954
Trinity Lutheran School, which will begin new term on Sept. 7, will be celebrating its 100th year; school first opened Nov. 12, 1854; at first school, staffed by pastors and later one teacher, was conducted in residence on William Street; classes moved to new building in 1865 on Themis Street; present school on Pacific was built in 1925.
Clyde D. Harris, president of First National Bank, has been named chairman of Cape Girardeau's first United Fund campaign.
75 years ago: Sept. 1, 1929
Growth of Baptist churches in Cape Girardeau County Association was revealed in reports submitted last week at annual meeting at Perryville; it was shown that during year, there were 300 additions to church.
Barge line service to transport cement from Marquette Mfg. Co., plant in Cape Girardeau to Memphis, Tenn., was inaugurated yesterday
-- Sharon K. Sanders