- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)8
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)10
- Pincksten's newest renovation project: 328 S. Spanish St. (7/17/16)6
- Trooper-involved homicide case rests in prosecutor's hands (7/17/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
At least 31 killed in gold mine accident
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso -- At least 31 people were killed in a mudslide at an unofficial gold mine in Burkina Faso, according to the national radio service.
There are thousands of unofficial mines, or bush mines, in West Africa. Villagers eke out a living, risking their lives to descend deep chutes and then use mercury to force the gold out of the dirt. The mines are especially treacherous during the monsoon season.
According to radio reports, the landslide was brought on by heavy rains in the mining village of Boussoukoula in southwest Burkina Faso. Local authorities were digging for survivors.